August is almost here and that means that another Wheels of Soul tour has come to a close. Tedeschi Trucks Band, Drive-By Truckers and the Marcus King Band made their last stop in Morrison, CO at Red Rocks Amphitheatre for their final two shows.
As with all the shows this summer, TTB invited up members from both Drive-By Truckers and the Marcus King Band for some killer covers. The first came about halfway through their set with Todd Smallie, former Derek Trucks bassist, on “Yield Not to Temptation > Turn on Your Love Light.” Marcus King and his crew were the next to come on stage. Check out his smokin’ sit-in on the set closing “In Memory of Elizabeth Reed.”
Finally, Drive-By Truckers’ Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley sat-in for the final encore of the evening, Neil Young’s classic anthem “Rockin’ in the Free World.”
01. Statesboro Blues
02. Get What You Deserve
03. All That I Need
04. Lord Protect My Child
05. Bound For Glory
06. Down In The Flood
07. Little Martha > Midnight In Harlem
08. Part Of Me
09. Yield Not To Temptation > Turn On Your Love Light *
10. Laugh About It
11. Show Me ^
12. I Want More $
13. In Memory of Elizabeth Reed $
14. Night Time Is the Right Time #
15. Rockin’ In The Free World @
– Second night of two night stand at Red Rocks. Part of Wheels of Soul tour with Marcus King Band and Drive-By Truckers. Heavy wind gusts during parts of show but rain held off.
– * Todd Smallie (bass).
– ^ Marcus King (guitar), Deshawn D’Vibes Alexander (keys), Justin Johnson (trumpet) and Dean Mitchell (saxophone).
– $ Marcus King (guitar).
– # Deshawn D’Vibes Alexander (keys), Dean Mitchell (saxophone).
– @ Patterson Hood (guitar, vocals), Mike Cooley (guitar).
Thanks to Alex Leary for the recording!
Photo credit: Stuart Levine