While all the drama has unfolded around Woodstock’s 50th anniversary festival this summer, the real tribute to the iconic music festival took place at Mountain Jam. Gov’t Mule’s second set of the festival took place on Saturday night and was the highlight of the festival.
The entire set was dedicated to the music of Woodstock and guests were abound. Mule didn’t just play the hits, but went deep into the catalogues of the bands that ruled in the summer of ’69. Lukas Nelson joined the Mule for some added guitar fire power on a handful of tracks including the Grateful Dead’s “Dark Star” and Buffalo Springfield’s “Mr. Soul” among others.
For the cherry on top, Warren treated Mountain Jam to a 20+ minute take on Jimi Hendrix’s masterpiece “Voodoo Child.”
2. Freedom (Richie Havens cover) (with Tato Melgar)
3. Jingo (Santana cover) (with Tato Melgar)
4. Eyesight to the Blind (Sonny Boy Williamson cover)
5. See Me, Feel Me (The Who cover)
6. I Can’t Keep From Crying Sometimes (Ten Years After cover)
7. This Wheel’s on Fire (The Band cover) (with Lukas Nelson)
8. Dark Star (Grateful Dead cover) (with Lukas Nelson) (also with Tato Melgar)
9. Find the Cost of Freedom (Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young cover) (with Lukas Nelson)
10. Mr. Soul (Buffalo Springfield cover) (with Lukas Nelson)
11. I Put a Spell on You (Screamin’ Jay Hawkins cover) (Creedence Clearwater Revival tribute)
12. Piece of My Heart (Big Brother & The Holding Company cover) (Janis Joplin tribute with Arleigh Kincheloe)
13. I Want to Take You Higher (Sly & the Family Stone cover) (with Arleigh & Jackson… more )
14. With a Little Help From My Friends (The Beatles cover) (Joe Cocker version; with the Better-Half Singers)
15. Voodoo Child (Slight Return) (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
Thanks to Tony Suraci for the recording!
Photo credit: rythmicphoto